What is NVME? What Are The Benefits of NVME
Benefits of NVMe for data storage
The day is not far that NVME storage is going to be the new revolution and we see a significant shift from traditional storage to NVME in big enterprise data centres.
- Unlike the traditional protocols designed in mechanical hard disk drives, NVME utilizes not just the advantages of solid-state storage ut also the benefits of multi-core CPUs and gigabytes of memory ensuring a lighting fast access and transfer speed.
- NVME also uses streamlined commands that efficiently parse as well as manipulate data without any difficulty.
NVMe use cases
NVMe is already widely being used in various business scenarios where every microsecond counts.
- It is effectively leveraged in real-life customer interactions such as finance, e-commerce and software sales agents.
- In the advanced apps utilizing Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Big Data has advanced analytical capabilities to enhance the computational speeds.
- Large Ecommerce hosting enterprises to ensure fast data accessibility during high traffic and efficient loading times.
Now let’s move to the next important part in which we see why NVME is really important and has an edge over the other traditional techniques when combined with them as a means of data storage and transfer.
NVMe over Fabrics (NVMe-oF)
NVMe is faster than flash storage. It also leverages an end-to end standard that allows efficient and quick transfer of data between the storage systems and servers.
- NVMe over Fabrics increases NVMe’s [performance and latency benefits spread across the network fabrics like the Ethernet, Fibre Channel and the InfiniBand.
- It also provides higher IOPS and a much-reduced latency from the host software stack over the Data Fabric to the storage space.
NVMe over Fibre Channel (NVMe/FC)
There are many big enterprises that have built their entire infrastructure around the Fibre channel because of the enhanced performance and reliability along with the much-needed support for fabric-based zoning and name services.
Various applications such as databases run faster when it is run over the NVMe over Fibre Channel protocol compared to the FCP protocol.
NVMe over TCP (NVMe/TCP)
NVMe/TCP just like NVMe/FC provides a seamless path of achieving NVMe-oF but the difference is that it runs over Ethernet and encapsulates NVMe commands and the data inside a TCP diagram.
The larger the number of queues the more efficient is the data transfer and command execution procedure. NVMe/TCP allows a large number of queues and paths for transporting the data from the data centres to the customer requests allowing a significant increase in the throughput and reduced latency.
The primary underlying benefit of NVMe/TCP is that it doesn’t require any special kind of hardware to deploy them. It can use any Ethernet NICs and switches that make it simpler and also less expensive to deploy and maintain.
Extensive support from both NVMe/FC and NVMe/TCP will enable customers to choose which protocol to deploy so that they can better serve the customer requests and higher traffic on their hosted sites. It will result in a simple and quite flexible way for enterprises as well as cloud services providers to optimize the entire performance of hosting and storing data as well as accessing it added with reduced cost for businesses.